Thursday, May 27, 2004

This story comes courtesy of Siliconvalley.com.

Single mom overwhelmed by recording industry suit


Tammy Lafky has a computer at home but said she doesn't use it. "I don't know how," the 41-year-old woman said, somewhat sheepishly. But her 15-year-old daughter, Cassandra, does. And what Cassandra may have done, like millions of other teenagers and adults around the world, landed Lafky in legal hot water this week that could cost her thousands of dollars.
A record company attorney from Los Angeles contacted Lafky about a week ago, telling Lafky she could owe up to $540,000, but the companies would settle for $4,000."I told her I don't have the money," Lafky said. "She told me to go talk to a lawyer and I told her I don't have no money to talk to a lawyer."
Lafky said she clears $21,000 a year from her job and gets no child support.
The music industry isn't moved. It has sued nearly 3,000 people nationwide since September and settled with 486 of them for an average of $3,000 apiece, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, which represents the major and minor labels that produce 90 percent of the recorded music in the United States.

This is cut up from the whole article, the link above is a link to the full story.
Now my opinion. Do I download right now? No. That's all I will say. I think the record company is this particular case needs back off. There is a quote from the article about how she didn't know it was illegal because her daughters friends were downloading constantly. Is ignorance of the law an excuse? Should the RIAA be persuing this case? Should they persue the illegal download at all? Let me know you know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment