Sunday, February 05, 2006

Seahawks Lose Superbowl

Ok, I know my blog is like the 4 millionth time you've read about Superbowl XL. I have two words to say and then I will justify them. BAD OFFICIATING! Now, in the interest of fairness, I am, for the purposes of this article, a Seahawks fan (normally, I cheer for Green Bay but I live in the Northwest so I cheer for the Hawks if they do better). I can name 3 major calls that either stole potential points from the Seahawks or were just bad calls. I'll start with the biggest.
Rothinsberger touchdown - I agree with the call that the referee made upon reviewing the tape. However, I don't believe he should have had to review a call at all. The call on the field was incorrect. Steeler gain of 7 points (Seattle loss of 7).
Seattle Offensive Pass Interference - What interference? Oh, I'm turning away from you, I need to turn and your the convient way to do it, but I'm going to get a penalty. Oh, and did I mention that the Steeler player campaigned for the call. I'm sorry, you don't ever, I MEAN EVER do something because a player asks, you're the ref not the players. I've been a ref before (in soccer, but it's the same deal) no matter how many players badger you stick to your guns (Loss of 7 points no matter how you look at it).
Seattle Holding after making it to the 2 yd line - Again, What hold? Heck, even John Madden didn't think there was a hold on that play. (Net loss of 7 potential yards).
Some more minor calls like the Hasselback block after his interception throw (not a penalty). I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm a fan but this was the absolute worst officiating I have ever seen in the NFL, heck in any sport (ok, maybe not any sport, figure skating and some soccer). But I'm not bitter, ask me in about 3 weeks after the Olympics, I might be bitter then, it will depend on how many medals Team Canada can pull off. Later.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:37 AM

    F.Y.I
    Roethlisberger did make it in. A few of my friends had the same opinion as yourself. After watching in super slow/stop "DVR" they all agreed the ball broke the plain by about 1/4 inch, and was pushed back by contact.
    The hold WAS a hold, grant you teams dont always get called on it. Keep in mind he had a direct line on Hasselbeck, and clipped his heels even after the hold. Maybe Hasselbeck gets hit and loses the ball if the hold didnt happen.
    And the pass interference was OBVIOUS. You cant extend your elbow when you push off a defender, hench pushing off/pass interference. You can see the defenders momentum go the other way due to the contact.
    If you want to whine and cry, I will agree, Hasselbecks tackle/block after the interception was wrong. Boo Hoo 15 yards. Jim

    ReplyDelete