Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Phelps v. Thorpe

High expectations are the name of the game at the Olympics. But do we often set the bar too high? Take Michael Phelps, the 19-year old swimmer from Baltimore and Ian Thorpe the 21-year old from Sydney, Australia. Two very, very talented swimmers. Michael Phelps is simply known as Michael Phelps. Ian Thorpe is known as the Thorpedo. You tell me, who do you think is going to win a race? Ok, granted there really isn't much of a nickname you can come up with when using Michael Phelps, still who would you rather cheer for. Phelps and Thorpe didn't race each other the first day and they both managed to win their respective races. The first time they met, they and their teams were both defeated by the South Africans. The next time they met it was Thorpe on top. Today was race day again. It was the 4X200m freestyle relay, and after losing the last time around, the Aussies and the Americans weren't about to be beat again. Today it was a battle for 3rd, as it was a near garuntee that either the Aussies or Americans that would take the gold and likely silver. True to form the Americans and Aussies made it a battle, the Americans sending Phelps out first to get a lead over the Aussies. The aussies sent a different strategy, they waited to send the power till the end. Phelps kept a sizable lead on the Aussies in the first leg. As the race wore on it really did become a battle for thrid. The Americans sent all they could at the Aussies and when the Thorpedo hit the water, the race was on. The winners, the Americans. However, Phelps dream of beating the Mark Spitz record.

I suppose now is a good time to pause and talk a bit about Mark Spitz. An American swimmer, who competed in the 1972 Olympics in Munich, set 7 world records in 7 different races winning 7 gold medals. Everyone said the Phelps was the new Spitz.

Now it's clear, Michael Phelps will not win 7 gold medals. The most he can take is 5. Of course he and Thorpe will come out with a medal in every race they are in but it's a matter of color. As Americans cheer on Phelps and get mad at Thorpe. I'm torn...

Let's talk about the Canadians. They can't seem to win a race, they can't even seem to qualify for the final (with a couple of exceptions). I live in the United States, however, I still don't know who to cheer for. Maybe you can help me out. Should I cheer for my failing native Canada? Or should I cheer for my current residence country, the winning America? Or maybe I should cheer for the Aussies, who for the most part I just like the color? Before giving your opinion, I'm only talking about in the pool. And also if you don't care at all about the olympics I want to know that as well and why you don't care. More to come...maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment